College & Career Readiness
Where do you start when choosing a career? How do you decide what you want to do after high school graduation? With the number of career choices out there, it helps to organize your options and take advantage of real-world experience opportunities. Now is the perfect time, while you are in high school, to find out what you like and don't like, to learn from career professionals, take encore/elective classes that relate to a possible career, take a finance class, take the ASVAB, go on a job shadow or two and go on field trips, take interest assessments, talk to your teachers, join a club or sport, and tour schools. Our goal is for you to feel confident walking across that graduation stage with a Plan A, a Plan B, even a Plan C, and a call to action to reach your goals. We encourage all of you to Think Big, Get Excited, Save Time, Spend Wisely, Take Control, and Stand Out because we are Panther Proud and your Park Rapids Community is here for you every step of the way! Stop by and visit the 4C, Mrs. Murphy, if you want to partake in the below programs and opportunities or if you have any questions.
Career Exploration & Real-World Experience Opportunities:
- Try Job Shadowing multiple career and multiple times
- Attend Field Trips/Site Visits or community organization meetings
- Listen to a Career Speaker in person or virtually
- Sign up for a class with a Guest Instructor and possibly earn a certificate
- Apply for Internships/Apprenticeships
- Apply for Paid Employment or sign up for the business internship program
- Try Job/Work Sampling unpaid
- Partner with a Career Mentor to set future goals and learn from them
- Work on a Business Sponsored Project when available
To sign up for any of the above opportunities, visit with the 4C!
Students Receive a Free T-Shirt for Participating!
SCHOLARSHIPS & CAMPS
- May 9-10, 2022: SuperMileage Challenge – The Supermileage Competition is a yearly fuel efficiency competition held at the Brainerd International Speedway. The objective of the competition is to provide Career Technical Education students and MTEEA Clubs with a challenging project that allows practical experience in design, fabrication, and testing.
- May 20, 2022: Career in Cars – A free student-focused event is happening at the Minnesota State Fairgrounds during the Twin Cities Auto Show on May 20. Register at the TC Auto Show website.
- May 21, 2022: Solar Boat Regatta – The Minnesota Renewable Energy Society (MRES) is holding the 30th Annual Solar Boat Competition at Riley Lake in Eden Prairie, MN. MRES’ Solar Boat Competition gives students a valuable and unique experience with photovoltaic systems, boat design, and construction.
- May 31, 2022: Deadline for Minnesota Heating and Cooling Association Scholarship (MHCA) application – The MHCA Scholarship is meant for high school and technical school students interested in seeking a career in the Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning (HVAC) field. See below for more MHCA scholarship information.
- June 5-10, and June 19-24, 2022: Minnesota Aviation Career Education Camp – The Minnesota Aviation Career Education Camp (MN ACE Camp) includes educational demonstrations, hands-on activities, and the opportunity to pilot a single-engine aircraft, a glider, a helicopter, and a full-motion airline simulator with an FAA Certified Flight Instructor. Look for application information at their Camp Dates webpage.
- June 18, 2022: Drone Safety Day – The National Center for Autonomous Technologies (NCAT) has a list of events, resources, and Drone Day information. Check out the NCAT website for more information.
- August 8-12, 2022: Free CAV (connected and automated vehicle) Career Pathways Camp – The University of Minnesota hosts a free one-week camp for 10-12 graders around CAV technology. Find more CAV Career Pathways Camp information at the story below.
- August 10-14, 2022: Experience STEAM – This week-long STEAM event at the Mall of America during its 30th Anniversary will give attendees the opportunity to experience STEAM [science, technology, engineering, arts, and mathematics] in action with highly engaging hands-on activities! Check out Experience STEAM website for more information.
Grant, Scholarship, and Educational Opportunities
2022 Minnesota State Summer Camp Directory is Here!
The Minnesota State Colleges and Universities are offering over 80 summer camps for middle and high school students across the state. Most opportunities are free or low cost and span a variety of interest areas including manufacturing, graphic design, engineering/design, computer science, photography, STEM and more! Information on the camps is available at the Minnesota State website.
CAV Career Pathways Camp
The University of Minnesota MN CAV (Connected and Automated Vehicles) Ecosystem program provides a free one-week camp for grade 10-12 graders from August 8 to 12 on the Twin Cities campus. The students have hands-on opportunities with automated vehicles, field trips, info sessions with U of MN researchers, and career exploration in the CAV field. See more information at the MN CAV Ecosystem webpage.
The Minnesota Heating & Cooling Association (MHCA) is a non-profit organization dedicated to the betterment of the HVAC industry. The MHCA will once again be offering MHCA scholarships to students pursuing a career in the HVAC field. Individuals who are seeking a career in the Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning (HVAC) field are invited to apply.
Multiple $1,000.00 scholarships may be available. Applications are due May 31, 2022.
Construction Career Scholarships
A great number of Minnesota’s construction-related associations offer scholarships for young people seeking careers in the industry. Check out the Project Build MN website for organizations that are offering scholarships. Take a look!
Tech Trac Student Sponsorship Program
Luther Tech Trac is a program dedicated to supporting a select group of the best and brightest students who have shown passion and ambition for a career in the Automotive Technician fields. Find benefits and requirements at the Luther Tech Trac website.
RADIO CAMP 2022 - Act Quickly!
Sign Up for 2022 Summer Multimedia Camps
Are you a storyteller? Do you like writing? Do you like listening to the radio?
Learn from media professionals how to tell stories about Minnesota's Indigenous communities at Radio Broadcast Camp presented by MPR News and founding partner ThreeSixty Journalism, along with KRSM Radio, American Indian Family Center and MIGIZI.
- Your story could air on the radio!
- Open to high school students, presented in a hybrid format. You can attend virtually or in person at the University of St. Thomas.
- And, you'll earn a stipend for attending camp!
To Apply or check out other Summer Multimedia Camps: Visit threesixty.stthomas.edu/apply
- Priority application deadline is March 31. Spots are Limited!
- Questions? Contact Program Manager Dymanh Chhoun at firstname.lastname@example.org
No Cost Summer Cybersecurity Camp Opportunities - Act Quickly!
Check out these two free summer 2022 Cyber Security camps offered by IT Center partner Alexandria Technical and Community College.
Two fantastic opportunities are being offered this summer. ATCC will be having two GenCyber cybersecurity camps for youth.
- GenCyber Intro Camp – Intended for students in grades 7-12 who have not attended a previous GenCyber camp. Offered on campus and virtual.
- GenCyber Advanced Camp - Intended for students in grades 8-12 who have attended a previous GenCyber or CyberPatriot camp, or who have completed a college-level computer course. Offered in Virtual format.
To learn more: https://www.alextech.edu/atcc-events/gencyber
Healthcare Event! FIELD TRIP
March 17 & April 28th from 8am-3pm
Sanford Health, Bemidji
Northwest Technical College, Bemidji
Sophomores, Juniors & Seniors
Chaperones: Mrs. Kocka & Mrs. Murphy
Simulation lab (robots!), nursing assistant, dental labs, medical coding, radiology, orthopedics, physical therapy, pediatrics, emergency room, lab tech., and site tours!
Pick up a permission slip and return it to Mrs. Murphy.
Trades Day Event! FIELD TRIP
March 1, 2022 from 10am-2pm
Bemidji State University
Bridgeman Hall: Technology, Art, Design Department
Juniors & Seniors
Chaperones: Mr. Dravis & Mrs. Murphy
Equipment suppliers will be displaying/demonstrating/on-hand to show the latest and greatest in equipment ~ The Milwaukee display is planned to be VERY IMPRESSIVE ~ The demo's for sprayers from Graco will be really interesting ~ There is a mask mandate so everybody needs to wear a mask while on campus & bus ~ The complete list of company site tours will be available to choose from as we get closer to the event!
BSU Students & Professors in Construction & Manufacturing ~ High School Trades & Industry CTE Teachers & Students from Baudette to Park Rapids ~ 28 School Districts in NW MN ~ Companies in the Bemidji Area
Tickets Are Free!
ACME, Bemidji ~ Milwaukee Tools ~ DeWalt Tools ~ ISK - safety gear, KASK helmets ~ Sherwin-Williams ~ Graco, Festool: demonstrations will be held in the spray finishing lab in Bridgeman Hall ~ Bemidji Welders Supply ~ Plumbers and Pipefitters Union
Peterson Sheet Metal ~ More Added Daily!!!
Pick up a permission slip and return it by Friday, February 18th, to Mrs. Murphy or Mr. Dravis.
RYLA Is On For Summer 2022!RYLA 2022 will be July 10-16, 2022!If you are unfamiliar with RYLA, it is a leadership camp that our Park Rapids Rotary Club sponsors two area students to attend each summer at the University of MN Crookston Campus. Applicants can be current freshman-juniors in high school, with preference given to older students.Please follow the link below for more information for students to apply.If you have any other questions, feel free to give me a call or email me.218-255-3317Thank you!Dan PikePark Rapids Rotary RYLA Chair
Prepare to Launch
Presented by Target
Register for Future Sessions on eventbrite: Registration Link
- Build Meaningful Relationships: October 29th, 11:00am-12:00pm CT
- Engineering Your Future: November 19th, 10:00am-11:00am CT
- Find Your Launchpad: December 10th, 9:00am-10:00am CT
- Stay True in a Digital World: January 28th, 1:00pm-2:00pm CT
- Money Matters: February 25th, 10:00am-11:00am CT
- Become Agents of Change: March 25th, 9:00am-10:00am CT
- Become the Next Game Changer: April 29th, 1:00pm-2:00pm CT
- Find Your Place: May 6th, 11:00am-12:00pm CT
Last Year over 10,000 students attended. 17% increase in likelihood of students to pursue STEM. 45 speakers across 34 companies. 8 schools broadcasted to their entire school in the auditorium.
FAQs: Will be recorded and available to watch on YouTube. All are welcome to attend. Especially great for juniors & seniors in High School!
Stay tuned for next year!
HEALTH OCCUPATIONS & PROFESSIONS EXPLORATION
Provided by Sanford Health
Saturday, October TBD, 2022
STAY TUNED FOR MORE INFORMATION about next years camp!
C&C Events Calendar Below:
Check out the C&C events calendar at the bottom of this page to view dates for upcoming college & career fairs, expos, camps, conferences, workshops, meetings, and presentations regarding various topics. Virtual events will also be listed there as well.
College & Career Readiness Programing
For All 6th-12th Grade PRAS Students
Navigator at Park Rapids Area Schools:
Welcome to Kuder Navigator - an all-in-one online education and career planning system that helps middle and high school students, and their parents, visualize their futures - and make the plans to get there. Through Navigator, your students will uncover insights into their personal interests, skills confidence, and work values, create education plans, learn real-world skills, and set goals for the future. Navigator is tailored to the unique needs of each grade level (6-12) to help students learn about themselves, build an education plan, and prepare for options after high school. While the system is set up in this way, students are free to progress through the system's content tabs in any order they wish. Navigator's dashboard prominently features a clear view of students' progress toward completion. This progression is guided by "My Next Steps," which suggests in-system tasks appropriate for each grade level.
- Gain self-awareness with research-based assessments.
- Identify, explore, and refine a list of occupations of interest.
- Identify appropriate education or training based on occupations of interest.
- Learn the fundamentals of the job-search prep process.
PRAS Students Login Link: https://navigator.kuder.com/account/login-register
Navigator's Menu Options for PRAS Students:
- Take an Assessment (Grades 6-12)
- Kuder Career Interest Assessment® (KCIA)
- Kuder Skills Confidence Assessment® (KSCA)
- Super's Work Values Inventory-revised (SWVI-r)
- Explore Occupations (Grades 6-12)
- Explore Majors (Grades 9-12)
- Plan for Education (Grades 8-12)
- Plan for Work (Grades 9-12)
- Find a Job (Grades 9-12)
My Portfolio for PRAS Students:
Students can build and maintain a lifelong portfolio, view their favorite career pathways, work values, occupations, schools, majors, etc., and record information in a notes tool. They can also create and edit their Ed Plans (multi-year course plans) set future goals, upload documents, and build a shareable e-Profile.
Want to Learn More?
Career Fields, Clusters, & Pathways
Minnesota State CAREERwise Education
Career clusters are one way to group career choices. Careers with common features are in the same cluster. Clusters can be used during career exploration as a way to find your best career match.
- 6 career fields are the broadest level of career options. They are shown at the center of the diagram below around the circle. They're a good place to start exploring careers.
- Underneath those six career fields are the 16 career clusters identified by the National Career Clusters Framework. In addition, some models also include the Energy Systems cluster. Careers with the same knowledge and skills are grouped in the same cluster. Each cluster may include hundreds of different careers.
- Each career cluster includes one or more of 81 career pathways. A pathway is a group of related career specialties within the career cluster.
- A pathway has its own knowledge and skill requirements. Educational programs can be developed around each pathway. They include curriculum that helps learners prepare for a career. Programs of study are sequential and based on industry expectations and skill standards. Career pathways show learners of all ages which courses will give them the specific knowledge, skills, and abilities needed to pursue their career choice.
- The center of the career pathways diagram shows knowledge and foundation skills. These are a core set of skills needed to be ready for work and college.
Panther Career Closet
Available to Students!
The purpose of the Panther Career Closet is to provide, free of charge, a resource of professional attire to all students currently enrolled at Park Rapids Area High School. The Panther Career Closet can help students with their professional dress needs; such as job-shadows, interviews, career fairs, academic/activity needs, or for their jobs and internships.
- Men’s & Women’s Suits, Jackets, & Blazers
- Men’s & Women’s Dress Pants & Skirts
- Men’s & Women’s Dress Button Up Shirts
- Men’s & Women’s Dress Shoes, Ties, & Belts
- Note Pad Cases or Leather Resume Portfolios
- Men’s & Women’s Black Dress Pants
- Men’s & Women’s White Dress Shirts
The Prepared Panther: Resumes, Interviews, & Etiquette
Do you want a second look at your resume and cover letter? Then drop them off at the 4C office, no appointment needed! My mailbox in the high school office is labeled CCCC or feel free to email the 4C a copy to be critiqued. Also, if you want to practice interviewing before the big day, the 4C is here to help! Send the 4C an email to see when we can schedule a mock interview for you. Below you will find a clean and simple cover letter, resume, and references template you can download and edit. You will also find three packets containing information about applying for a position and resume creation, interviewing styles and techniques, and networking and etiquette tips. Want to set up a LinkedIn account (your online resume)? See below for more information or ask the 4C for help!
Do You Want To Be Your Own Boss or Buy/Start A Business?
Then You Should Look At Entrepreneurship!
If you are wanting to start a business, looking to buy commercial real estate, wanting to get involved in your business community, or are looking for business startup assistance, please feel free to check out the many options below:
- SBDC (Small Business Development Center)
- SBA (Small Business Association)
- MBFC (Minnesota Business Finance Corporation)
- HRDC (Headwaters Regional Development Commission)
- Heartland Lakes Development Commission
- NWMF (Northwest Minnesota Foundation)
- Park Rapids Downtown Business Association
- Park Rapids Lakes Area Chamber of Commerce
- Talk to A Local Bank
- Talk to A Local Real Estate Company
- Talk to A Mentor with Entrepreneurship/Business Start-up Experience
- Google Search for Commercial Real Estate
- Look for “For Sale” or “For Sale by Owner” Signs on Store Fronts
- Ask Around & Let People Know You Are Looking Because Some Businesses & Property May Be “For Sale” But Not Listed Online
As always, do your own research and analysis before diving in financially on any business idea or purchase.
Rural MN CEP (Career Force) - Serving the Park Rapids & Wadena Area
With close to 50 CareerForce locations throughout the state, you’re sure to find one that fits your career development or talent matching needs. CareerForce is committed to helping:
- Individuals start, advance or change their career
- Employers attract, develop and retain talent, and
- Minnesota thrive economically
As a collaborative group of private, public and nonprofit partners, they offer an impressive range of innovative services, including one-on-one guidance, training, networking, labor market information and much more. They are a rich resource for anyone, from any walk of life, at any career or recruitment stage.
Check out some of their resources below as well as links to their upcoming events:
- Job Seekers - RMCEP
- Tuition Grants
- Cover Letters - Page 1 | Page 2
- Dress for Success - Page 1 | Page 2
- Identifying Your Skills - Page 1 | Page 2
- Make a Budget Worksheet - Page 1 | Page 2
- Making a Budget - Page 1 | Page 2
- Networking - Page 1 | Page 2
- Renting - Page 1 | Page 2
- Resume Sample - Page 1
- Resumes - Page 1 | Page 2
- The Job Interview - Page 1 | Page 2
- Using Credit - Page 1 | Page 2
- Youth Programs - Page 1 | Page 2
- Manejar las deudas - Paginas Uno & Dos
- Prestamos de dia de pago y anticipos de dinero - Paginas Uno & Dos
- Hacer un presupuesto - Paginas Uno & Dos
- Haga un presupuesto - Paginas Uno & Dos
- Alquilar un apartamento o una casa - Paginas Uno & Dos
- Como reconstruir su credito - Pagina Uno | Pagina Dos | Pagina Tres
Rural MN CEP Contact Information:
Address: 124 1st St. SE, Suite 3 | Wadena, MN 56482
Facebook Page: RMCEP Wadena & Park Rapids Job @cepwadena
Thinking of College or the Military? Applying for Scholarships? Sending Transcripts?
Then you should meet with your High School Counselor/Academic Advisor, Mrs. Schroeder! Below is the link to the Counselor's office and there will find information regarding ACT, Scholarships, FASFA, Transcripts, PSEO, and so much more.
Virtual Career Week 2020:
Virtual Career Week - Watch Last Year's CAPS Recorded Videos
Career Exploration - 4 Days Worth of Knowledge
In May 2020, during the global pandemic, P4P partnered with the CAPS Network and it's affiliated to bring a 4-day online event to students of ages everywhere. Virtual Career featured 20+ speakers and drew over 1,600 registered viewers of all ages.
You can watch recordings on the link below:
Virtual Career Week 2020
Panther Tracks: Post-Secondary & Career Planning
All Panther Track students will graduate with a Working Resume and Real-World Career Experience related to their Track
2021 Graduating Seniors Participating will be the 1st to Receive Panther Tracks Certificates!
To register or learn more about this academic program, visit with the 4C or follow: Panther Tracks at Park Rapids Area High School
College & Career Events Calendar
Panthers - Check out the below calendar to stay up to date on events happening locally and across the state and country! These events are focused on college, career and life and will either be held in-person or virtually. You will find various expos, fairs, conferences, presentations, workshops, and so much more! Click on a title that interests you to see that event's registration information and who it's sponsored by.
Park Rapids & Panther Pride!