• Substitute Information

    Substitutes are an important part of this district. Teachers, paraprofessionals, secretaries, and nurses will all occassionally need a substitute throughout the year. For the students we serve it is of the utmost importance to have a qualified substitute in each of these areas. 

    Park Rapids Schools continually conducts ongoing recruitment of substitutes to fill these positions. The district uses the system AESOP to contact substitutes who have registed with the system about available positions. District employees will enter their absences in to the system. Once the absence has been entered substitutes will be called and will have the ability to acccept or decline the job. Substitutes will also have the ability to log in on the computer to search for upcoming jobs. 

    Substitute paraprofessionals are not required to have taken the ParaPro Test but if you are interested in completing the test please click here  to find test centers and days it will be offered. 


    Becoming a substitute for Park Rapids Area Schools

    In order to be employed as a substitute with the district, please provide the District Office with the following forms. 

    • Current Substitute Application
    • Completed W-4
    • Completed I-9
    • Photocopy of valid MN Teaching Certificate or Nursing License (if applicable) 
    • Background Check at the cost of the employee

    Once the completed forms are returned, substitutes are entered into the Payroll and AESOP systems. 

    Receiving Job Assignments

    Substitutes can receive assignments by calling in to AESOP by phone at 1-800-942-3767 and following the prompts. 

    Substitutes can also log on to AESOP at www.aesoponline.com to find available jobs. Once logged in available jobs will show in green on the calendar. 


    Working as a Substitute 

    Substitutes should check in at the school's office when they arrive at the building. Substitutes will need to sign in. 

    Substitutes will be paid bi-weekly according to the payroll calendar. 


    Short Call Substitute Licensure

    A person with a Bachelor's Degree may obtain a Short Call Substitute Minnesota License through the Minnesota Department of Education.  You will need to fill out an online application on their website as well as pay a processing fee. MDE will also need a copy of official transcripts.  Please visit the MDE website here.

    A short-call substitute teacher is one who teaches on a day to day basis, not to exceed 15 consective days replacing the same teacher. The license is valid for functioning as a short call substitute teacher at all grade levels in all teaching fields.