Students of all ages are enjoying the Internet, so it is crucial that parents and guardians be aware of the risks their children will face. All students and parents are required to sign an Internet Acceptable Use and Safety Agreement before they will be allowed to use school computers. The policy on this can be found on the District 309 homepage in the policy manual.
The following suggestions are recommendations for online safety. For more online safety information, for activities for practicing online safety with your child, and for contracts and guidelines please visit SafeKids.com. You may also request SafeKids information by calling 1-800-843-5678.
Century Media Suggestions:
1. Information online is not private. Never tell anyone online your last name, your phone number, where you live, or where you go to school.
2. Never e-mail a picture of yourself to a stranger.
3. If you see something that makes you uncomfortable, don't look around or explore; get your parents or teacher instead.
4. Never make plans to meet Internet friends.
5. Never open an e-mail, file, or Web page from people you don't know.
6. Never give out your password, except to responsible adults in your family or a teacher.
7. Never visit sites that offer special prizes, contests, or games. These sites may be trying to get your personal information or get money from you.
8. Always follow family and school rules for the Internet. Rules are there to make sure you stay safe.